A traveblog from Mexico

Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Mysterious Trike in Parque Central

I was sitting in a plastic chair at a plastic table at a restaurant that sits on the main square in Merida, Yucatan, enjoying a Montejo, about 10 pm the other night when a mysterious vehicle entered the street. It was a giant tricycle, the kind with the cabin in the front. When it approached, I was puzzled by what this vendor could be offering.

The crate on the front of it looked like a cage, wrapped in shrink wrap. It did not appear to be food inside. Rather, it looked like the things inside were moving. I took a look at the sign, and I was pretty sure I knew that it was he was selling, but I still had a hard time believing it. I mean, ¨Venta Perritos,¨ really? I approached the trike and took a closer look at the cage while someone off the street appeared to start a negotiation for what it was he was selling.

But low and behold, Mexico is the kind of place where a person can buy a puppy off a dude in a tricycle at 11 at night downtown. I didn´t think to ask if the vaccinations were included.
***
Tomorrow I am off to the new ¨Seventh Wonder of the World,¨ Chichen Itza, then off to the beachside town of Tulum. Only one week left!

1 comment:

  1. but how can los perritos breathe inside all that shrink wrap?

    ReplyDelete