A traveblog from Mexico

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cañon de Sumidero and Off to the Jungle



It was a relatively warm morning here in San Cristobal when I boarded the bus this morning for the Sumidero Canyon, accessible from the town of Chiapa de Corzo. A really beautiful place, so I will let the photos do the talking. The canyon also had crocs and spider monkeys. Fun!

From there it was on to an hour in the town itself, with its lovely colonial fountain. I wandered around some, had a lime popsicle, saw a museum in an old convent (which seems to be what they do with exconventos here in Mexico). Unfortunately, I just missed the fiesta in Chiapa de Corzo, as all the confetti still littered the streets and the death trap carny rides remained in the main plaza.



And now, I am spending my last night in charming, lovely San Cristobal. (Tomorrow I am off to the ruins at Palenque then two days in the jungle!) ¡Ciao, San Cristobal!



(Note that these pictures are mine and not stolen off the web like some of them.) Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Lime popsicle and deathtrap carny rides. Sounds like bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smyczek, great commentary. I'm glad kara reminded me about your blog. Did you eat the worm?

    ReplyDelete